Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Looking Back at 2008


In case you didn't know (I didn't until I looked it up) the traditional New Year's song, "Auld Lang Syne" was written by poet Robert Burns. Its translation is, "old long since". In the cryptic sort of way of a Scotsman in the 1700's it reminds us to look over the past year and recall the people, places and things that remain forever in our memories.
Therefore, on this last day of the year I look back at 2008 with fond memories. It has been a year filled with amazing adventures mostly involving the people I love most, my family. A trip to Hawaii with all our family, travel to see Alex and Teanca in plays, visiting in Utah, an Alaskan cruise, Grandma Louise Wright's memorial service, Robyn and Jeff's Wedding, Thanksgiving week with Ken, Sarah, Addie and Ian, Christmas with "Super" Grandpa Wright, a visit from Megan and Jonathan Day, Dad's retirement...well, sort of. If I could have seen a year ago what 2008 would have held for me I probably would have said, "You've got to be kidding!" And yet, this year has been one of the most amazing of my life. I can't wait to see what 2009 will bring.
My resolution for 2009 is simple. I plan to enjoy the adventure of each day. That's it. I figure I can keep that resolution. I've gotten over the expectation that I can plan my life out in advance for the most advantageous use of my time. I know that the Lord has a plan for me and if I am courageous enough, and faithful enough I will allow the Lord to lead me through this grand adventure of life.
Happy New Year and may 2009 hold wonderful adventures for you, too.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

This has been a great year. 2009 has been great so far as well. I'm excited to see all the adventures as they come.

Meg said...

Thanks for being so supportive during 2008. Can't wait to make more memories in 2009!