Tomorrow our baby girl turns 24. How did that happen? I think of the song "Sunrise, Sunset" from "Fiddler on the Roof" and I can understand the whistful phrase as the parents consider their children, "I don't remember growing older. When did they?" Not that I begrudge my daughter's growing up. Those were fun-filled challenging times that I would not trade for a second. I loved being nearby as she took her first, very independent steps, watching her excel in school and being her most ardent audience as she danced and sang through life. She has grown into a woman of great grace and beauty. I just don't know what happened to me while she was growing up. Where did all those wrinkles come from? How did my eyesight blur so much? How come a nap sounds better and better even though I still can't nap. Yet. It's as if my mind has been in suspended animation for years but my body has been oh, quite steadily marching to time's cadence. And now as I consider our daughter's birthday, reality catches up with me. And I see what I've become. But, I have a lovely 24 year old daughter to focus on, and four other children, their spouses, four grandchildren whom I adore, and a husband who tells me I'm as beautiful as I've always been (I think his eyesight is a little fuzzy, too, but maybe that's a gift from God at our age.) As I have said many times, I don't mind growing old, I just don't want to grow up. What I mean by that is I always want to enjoy life as a child does with open appreciation for beauty. I want to always be ready to laugh...and cry...and not apologize for either. I want to love openly without having to qualify to whom I give my love. I want to cherish every moment, for I have learned moments quickly turn into years...24 of them sometimes. Thank you, Megan, for being such a beautiful part of my life. You are a reminder that life is very, very good...no matter what age you are.
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I was just thinking today about the night Meg was born. I got to stay up (being all of 11) and took the late phone call that told me I had another sister. I can't imagine our family without her!
And talk about time marching on... when did my daughter turn 13?? Didn't I just graduate from high school?
We celebrated Megan's birthday with her tonight. We had such great things as cheeseburgers and cheesecake. It was tons of fun.
Thank you, Mom! Goodness knows, I must have been a trying child at times, but I was blessed enough to have a wonderful family to straighten me out (at least mostly) by the time I got to be an adult. May we all stay young at heart!
megan! We love you!!! This is so beautifully written. I can't really even begin to imagine seeing my babies hit their 24th birthday, but you take it with such grace! You are the best mom! Meg sure is lucky, and I am so lucky to have her as a sister! Love you megs!
Meg and I have had our own trying 24 years, but just as you said they have been the best. Meg is one of my best friends and I can't imagine growing up with out her. Mom, thanks for letting us learn how to settle our "differences" and teaching us how to love, laugh and cry right along with you. I love you tons!
You have a good perspective on aging and the passing years. I hope I can adopt your positive outlook. Thanks for sharing your thought.
Post a Comment