Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Extremely Good




Last week it was announced that the ABC television program "Extreme Home Makeover" was coming to Fresno. Five families were in the running to be chosen to have a home built for them. At 10 a.m. on Thursday morning the Riojas family was greeted by host Ty Pennington's bull horn announcing they would be whisked away to a ski vacation in Colorado while their old house was demolished. A new home would be built in one week that would meet the needs of Mary Ann Riojas who was born without legs. Read about this amazing woman and her family. http://www.extremedeyoung.com/family.php I have been a fan of this TV program for years and had heard of friends who had participated in builds in other parts of the country. The stories all have the same motivation; to make life better for some very deserving people. I have admired the enthusiasm and sensitivity of the that filled each episode. I was not ready, however, for the impact that I have felt in my own life seeing such extreme measures of good will come to my own backyard. I wanted to be a part of this demonstration of community service. As soon as I heard the project was going to be in Fresno I signed up on the builder's website as a volunteer. That was Sunday. The volunteers would be notified in the next couple of days with what their assignment would be. On Wednesday I got the email. They had so many volunteers they could not use them all and I was too late. At first I was disappointed, but then I realized that they had 4,000 members of the community willing to hammer, nail, dry wall, shovel, scrub and serve donuts round the clock for the five building days. Some skeptics may think these people were only trying to get on television. I like to think otherwise and believe that people are inherently good and you just have to give them an opportunity to shine. Since I wasn't going to be able to work as a volunteer, I decided to visit the construction site. Today I joined about 100 people waiting in line for the shuttlebus that would carry us to the construction site. The crowd was a great mix of people who were chatting and enjoying the beautiful afternoon of 65 degree weather. It reminded me of waiting for a ride at a Disney resort. There was anticipation and a feeling of joy as we went to witness something that reaffirmed that there is still goodness in the world. After a short ride we arrived at the construction site, the house completed and ready to load in the furniture. There were hundreds of people lining the neighborhood street and more streaming in from the regularly arriving shuttlebuses. The television crew was moving cameras to various locations, the blue-shirted volunteers were herded to the side of the driveway, and after about 20 minutes a huge roar rose up from the crowd and two of the design team members, Michael Moloney and Didiayer Schneider led another group of volunteers out of the home to help unload one of the truckloads of furniture. All the time the crowd was laughing, visiting with the neighbors who were perched on rooftops and front porches. It was a scene that in all its chaotic glory was electrified with hope, goodwill, and generosity. Yes, it was extreme. Yes, it was just one family. But it is one more effort that perhaps will touch the hearts of those who have been even a small part of something that is good in life. I know it has touched mine. In an extremely good way.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Mom, I am so glad that you got to be a part of that. Whenever I think of people in my life who have really shown me how to serve, you always rise to the top of the list. You have always taught me to look for the good and be active is sharing that good with others. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me and reminding of the many lessons you have taught me in my life. I love ya tons!

Ann said...

Hooray for goodness! Thanks for sharing this with me - I'm experiencing it vicariously.