Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Celebrating 40 years together



On September 5, 1970 we started our life together as husband and wife. It was a spectacular day and our faces were sore from smiling so much. We were so in love and looked forward to the adventure of building our lives together. As we drove off in our MG Midget (after unstuffing the newspapers in it and lifting it off of the jack stands my brother in law had placed under the axel as a joke) we were blissfully unaware of what the future held for us. We just knew we wanted to take the journey together.

Now, forty years later we celebrate that journey. Along the way we attended college (and graduated), raised five amazing children, moved several times, enjoyed careers, served at church and in the community, watched children go off to school, got misty eyed when they got married, thrilled at becoming grandparents, took trips to a number of states, camped and fished over the western states, spent a few weeks in Europe, worked along side each other and played...a lot!

I still have my wedding dress, carefully hung in the closet. Reality set in when I realized there was no way I was going to fit into it this week. It was a wake up call to me verifying that time had passed and I was not the young bride I was 40 years ago.

But, then, that's not such a bad thing. I do wish I had the figure I had when I was 21 years old, but over the past 40 years I have had experiences that have helped me be the woman I am today. I have learned that goodness in people is to be treasured, whether it is in a spouse, a family member, a friend, or those you barely know. That no matter what the obstacle, there is a way around or over it. That saying what you are is good, but doing what you are is powerful. That I still have so much to learn and hope I'm always open to ideas and inspiration.

I am grateful to have shared the past 40 years with my amazing husband and look forward to the road ahead with my eternal travel companion. Happy Anniversary, my love.





5 comments:

Meg said...

Beautiful post, Mom. I love you so much and am so glad you both took that leap of faith 40 years ago and built a life together that allowed me to not only exist, but to have the best possible childhood a girl could ask for!

John R said...

"Yes in deedy, your my sweetie" What a journey, not all fun and easy times but a wonderful growing joy it has been. To share enumerable events has intertwined our live in to a single life. I would be lost without you!

Robyn said...

Wow! 40 years is wonderful. Just thinking about the (almost) 2 years Jeff and I have had together it makes me excited to know that you and Dad are still having fun and doing great things in your life. Your love for each other has helped me grow into the person and wife I am today. Thanks for all you have put into your marriage over the last 40 years, and I hope that in 40 years I will be just as happy as you are.

Ann said...

You and dad are my greatest inspiration. Thank you for who you are and all you do.

Paul and Susan said...

You and John are a good example to the rest of us. You express yourself so well in writing. Happy Anniversary!