Sunday, May 3, 2009

Take It or Leave It

I am in a quandary. In two weeks we leave for our dream Italy/Switzerland trip and I am determined to only take one carry-on sized suitcase for the 18 day trip. Rick Steves, the guru of travel-saavy recommends that you pack light so you don't have to lug ninety-pound suitcases from aircraft to train to hotel and back. Sure, sounds great and very practical. He even posts suggestions on his website as to what to pack. But, then, he doesn't mind wearing the same khaki pants and shirts for days on end. I'm still calculating how much monotony I can tolerate in my wardrobe. Maybe since I'll be busy touring the amazing parts of Rome and the Italian countryside I won't care what I wear. I mean how often will I look at myself when I'm looking at Michaelangelo artwork and daVinci paintings. I'd love to have some input from you who have bravely traveled the world. What's important to take? What's not? What do I take and what do I leave behind? All suggestions gladly accepted!

4 comments:

Robyn said...

I'm sorry, I wouldn't know since I will be the only one from the family who has never been to Europe. I guess if Dad can wait
50+ years then I can wait too.

Meg said...

Hmm, tough one. As you'll be in the southern part of Europe, I suggest really light weight clothes. You'll want a light jacket (maybe one with a hood in case of rain), a few casual shirts, some capris and jeans, a skirt or two, and one nice outfit for going to church and out to dinner or any other nice place you go. You'll get bored of your clothes, but you'll be grateful for your prudence every time you move hotels, trains, airplanes, etc. We need to talk more!

Paul and Susan said...

Comfortable shoes. We did so much walking and my feet where covered with blisters the whole vacation. I go around my house barefoot all day and when I do go out, I'm never walking for long. I should of brought my ugly, holey, walking shoes that I walk 3 miles in everyday but I wanted to look "chic". Boy, did I pay the price! Ouch!

Dana said...

I say take as little as possible. I thought I packed light when Kevin and I went to France, but there were actually clothes I rarely wore, like jeans. I wore a lot of skirts, khaki pants, and capris. One item I keep thinking of purchasing for traveling (but haven't yet) is a pashmina shawl. They look classy, can be worn several different ways, and can be used as a blanket on the plane or as a light jacket in the evening. Also, if you pack light, you can always buy a new fun outfit later in the trip and have it be a souvenir.