Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Aloha Ohana

The Hawaiian word "Aloha" we learned on our family vacation has three meanings, "Hello", "Goodbye" and "I love you". "Ohana" means family and for a glorious several days on the island of Oahu fifteen of our family members from age two to 88, spanning four generations experienced the joys of "Aloha". We walked together on the beaches of North Shore, played in the surf, ate papaya, mango and pineapple fresh from the roadside stands each day. We watched children and grandchildren build sandcastles, snorkeled in Sharks Cove where thankfully there were no sharks. We walked through the spectacular Waimea canyon where every turn produced a photo op. We took hundreds of pictures to commemorate this fleeting time when we were all together, a family that filled each day with laughter and love. We said "Aloha" when we arrived and we hugged then said "Aloha" as we parted. In saying so we also meant the last and true meaning of "Aloha", "I love you." So, Aloha Ohana, until we all meet again.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Aloha, Mommy! It was a trip of a life time and I will never forget it. My favorite part was just being with everyone. I love my ohana and I couldn't have had a better start to my summer. Thanks Mom!

Sarah Jane said...

oh wow! I am so glad that you have a blog!!! I am so glad that we can all share sweet memories from our trip. We all have such different perspectives, and I love to hear everyone's "download"! Than kyou thank you for such an amazing trip. It was the highlight of my year? no, my life? that sounds right;)

Love you!

Meg said...

It's so great to hear about life from your perspective. That, I think, is one of the wonders of stories--the ability step into another person's shoes for a moment and see life from that person's eyes--something that expands our own viewpoint immeasurably!

ALOHA!