Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Challenge

I have a really good excuse for not updating my blog lately. Two weeks ago I had repair surgery performed on my right shoulder which resulted in having my right arm in a sling/brace. The shoulder is healing nicely but it is rather a challenge to do everyday activities with just my left hand. I have to keep my arm in the sling 24/7 for about two more weeks. I am counting the days. But in the meantime these are the things I have learned. First, I have an amazing and compassionate husband who has been a lifesaver. I simply would have to be a blob on the couch if it werent for his help. I have learned that you need two hands to cut your meat. Hence I've been suriving on finger food and salads unless my husband cuts my meat for me. He says it reminds him of times he cut the meat for our children. Typing on the computer with my left hand is slow and although I'm getting faster it takes a lot of concentration. For a mental exercise you might try it. Buttons are for two handed people. Pants with elastic waistbands are my friend. Putting on socks with one hand...doable but try tube socks...getting the heels in the right place is a neat trick. Eating left handed, since I'm right handed has helped me with my weight loss program. I just get too tired chasing bits of food around my plate. I gave up trying to style my hair and got it cut short in a do I only have to fluff and go. I tried using the curling iron with only my left hand and gave it up as being dangerous. Putting in contacts one handed. Maybe for some of you this is no challenge but for me each morning is an exercise in how long I can keep one eye open and hopfully smush the contact in my eye before I blink. I'm not complaining. I'm finding this a unique opportunity to see how ingenious I can be at performing tasks that pre-surgery were no brainers but now take a great deal of mental effort to accomplish. I'm grateful that I do have two working limbs that I will in a few weeks be able to use in tandem. It has been an eye opening experience. You might like to try this, maybe for a short time. I'd love to hear what you discover, too.

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Mom if any one can do it I know you can. You have always seem to met challenges with a positive twist. I love that about you, and I am glad that Daddy is taking good care of you.

By the way I typed this one handed, and it took a while. I might have cheated by choosing to use my right hand. Next time I will have to try the left.

Meg said...

Mom, your tenacity and optimism is amazing! I love that you are the kind of person who doesn't WANT to take this as an excuse to be a blob on the couch (as I think some would), but instead you power through and get creative. This is them mother that I have grown up admiring so much!

Ann said...

You are awesome! Way to find the blessings in the challenge. You are always such an inspiration.

Paul and Susan said...

I've been there and done that. You have expressed perfectly the frustrations of being one handed (and that being the less coordinated left hand.) Paul thought it was so hilarious he had to cut up my meat for me. Ryan had to help me tie my shoes--what a roll reversal. It was all very humbling and I am not looking forward to the future surgery on my left arm and hand. At least I will have my dominant right hand free!