Friday, October 9, 2009

Into the Woods...and out of the Woods



My husband and a good friend just left for an off road High Sierra adventure. They packed their wilderness gear into a Toyota Land Cruiser outfitted with behemoth tires, a removable windshield, and canvas top...no windows... (why do you need to remove a windshield offroad)? They waved goodbye wearing ear-to-ear grins with hopes of catching numerous trout in Coyote Lake near the 9000 ft. elevation. The last mile is offroad and takes nearly an hour to traverse in the vehicle. You can walk it faster, so we're told. And the point is????


For the male of the species I suspect there is a gnawing need to be "The Hunter" that in day to day life is supressed. But from time to time that need surfaces and is manifest in a "hunt" of one sort or another. For some men, watching 22 men "hunt" an air inflated pigskin on a measured field fills the bill. For others, crouching in a reedy marsh, repeatedly blowing on an irritatingly brash imitation of a duck call and watching wooden decoys bob in the still water quenches the need. Some even may be able to meet this Mother-nature instilled craving by sitting in front of a computer screen blasting to bits C-G monsters all in the comforts of their own home.


My husband and friend apparently prefer the real deal. Nevermind these hunters have the latest technology with them, walkie talkies, GPS, iPhones, and the all-terrain vehicle that could climb Anapurna. Those inborn tendencies to face the foe and conquer the world are what drive the outfitters like REI and Cabelas to take advantage of the cross purposes of males needing to be basic hunters but to do so in comfort.


If you have never been to one of these outfitter's emporiums, you must go. It is an education in the social needs of the male animal. Big stuffed dead animals decorate the walls signifying that you, too, can be the champion of hunters. Tools with which to accomplish these goals fill cases and line locked cabinets. Gear for conquering almost any conceivable environmental condition is displayed (with pricetags neatly concealed). It is almost too much for the mortal mind to absorb.


I don't begrudge the male of the species their outings of manlihood. Being a female, I just don't get it. I'm happy to enjoy creatures of great size from afar, maybe shooting them...but with a camera. I'm happy to wear my comfy sweats nestled in a chair by the side of a river, reading a book, waving at my fly fishing husband from time to time as he lifts his latest catch from the streambed and cheer as he releases it. I'm happy to watch flights of geese lift from glass-like waters to form noisy V's as they wing their way south. To see a beautiful rainbow trout dart out from underneath a mossy rock, sip at a delicate winged insect then with a splash return to it's rocky abode is excitement enough for me.


When the mountains call once again, as I know they will, my husband will be ready with boots, flyrod, and backpack. And I will, with a smile, give him a kiss, wave goodbye as I did this morning, and await his return with stories of high adventure and of the hunt.

5 comments:

Jeff said...

I think i'm one of those that does the cg animated hunt. It is by my efforts that the world is kept safe from zombies and aliens.

Paul and Susan said...

Wonderful insights into the male species. I hope John has a good time.

Ann said...

I don't understand it... but I sure love it!

Robyn said...

Yup, mine likes the safe hunt from the computer room. The nice thing for me is it is usually no more then an hour at a time. (sometimes it is when I am asleep, which is even better) I don't get it either, but as long as he is happy I am OK.

Meg said...

Aren't we glad that men and women are so different! It's great to be able to celebrate the things that make us unique and, therefore, so much more complementary. Way to go for being supportive, Mom!