Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Create

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul." President Uchtdorf spoke of this at the last conference in October. A friend sent me a link to a video clip that truly touched and inspired me. (see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLlnq5yY7k&feature=channel_page ) One part of the video really hit home. "You might say, 'I'm not the creative type'....If that is how you feel, think again....Don't let the voice of critics paralyze you--whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside."
How often have I thought of creating something and have yielded to my own voice telling me I don't have the skill or talent to do it. How often have I admired the works of others and have said "I could never do that" without even trying.
I am learning that creations don't have to be perfect. The process of creating something of beauty can bring satisfaction and joy without even resulting in a finished product. In doing this, President Uchtdorf says "you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you."
And so I issue a challenge. Take a moment and create...something. Start small. Build from there. You'll be fulfilling one of the most essential parts of your own soul. Try it out. I'd love to hear how it feels when you create.

5 comments:

Jeff said...

It's really true. The desire to create something unique and amazing is inborn in all of us. One of my favorite things is to create "experiences" for other people. Whether that is creating the perfect date for Robyn, convincing a news crew to come to my house, or showing a private screening of a movie at a theater for all my friends. Lately, I've also really enjoyed the creative process of writing my blog. I enjoy sharing stories.

I'm also excited to learn new ways to create such as creating a garden. I think the more we put ourselves out there in the form of whatever we decide to create, the more we enable others to do the same. Thanks for sharing that video.

Robyn said...

Mom, that is so great. You have always encouraged us to create and try new things, and I have loved the experiences I have had because of you. Once again thanks for reminding me to do something creative. (maybe I should get my camera out again)

Meg said...

I loved that talk by Elder Uchtdorf. It's so true that creation is a part of our cores as humans. I pulled out some of my old writing last night and got inspired to find some time to work on it again. I love the feeling of words flying through my mind and out of my fingers.

Ann said...

This post goes right along with where I've been lately - opening myself up to creativity again. That is a fantastic clip from Pres. Uctdorf! Thanks for sharing... and creating!

Paul and Susan said...

You are so creative in so many areas Carol that I can't imagine you ever having a problem being creative. I, on the other hand, lack so many of the creative gifts you have. This "being creative" thing is going to be a tough thing for me to learn to do.