Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Loves of My Life

Valentine's Day is a perfect time to reflect on love. It seems so much the topic of art, music, literature that you might think the human race would have figured out what it is that makes up this thing we call "love". Some say it is a physiological hormonal response. Others might say it's a chemical reaction, hence the phrase "It's Chemistry!" More reflect on the emotional aspects of love and the ethereal concepts of "true love". I confess I have no philosophical definition of love. I only know that in my life, love is central to my happiness. What I have experienced is love in its various forms. Compassion, grace, forgiveness, charity, fondness, generosity, caring, delight, steadfastness, trust, pure joy and countless other qualities that make up the mosaic we might call "love". Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote, "How do I love thee, Let me count the ways...." I give up. I can't do it. There is no way I can count the ways that I love the people in my life. Pictured here are some of those I love most. Foremost, is my husband who makes my life one grand adventure filled with love. I am blessed beyond measure to know that our love will continue throughout eternity. One of our favorite phrases came from a card he gave me spontaneously one day long ago. Simply it said, "Yes indeedy, you're my sweetie!" We've said those words to each other many, many times over the years and they have the same silly sweetness they did the first time I read them. I think I've come to the conclusion that "love" doesn't need to be defined to be understood. It only needs to be experienced. I have, and I know what love is. Happy Valentines Day to all the loves of my life.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I love you too Marmy! Thanks for the beautiful words of wisdom. It is nice to know that I and the whole fam are loved by such an amazing person. I have always been in awe of your giving and loving heart. Happy Valentine's Day!

Meg said...

You're splendiferous! Thanks for the thoughtful card and candy. You always brighten my day, whether it's from an unexpected (or expected) package in the mail, a phone call, or a hug. I LOVE you! Diddo for Daddy.